The ELD mandate has been all over the news in the last week, but if you've been following our blog you know that the ELD mandate is only one of the regulatory issues facing drivers. Trucking is one of the most highly-regulated industries; and all of that regulation can easily kill innovation and efficiency. Thankfully, this fall the US government is requesting comments on current regulations and they want to hear from you! Find out how below.
The DOT is currently in the process of reviewing existing regulations partially at the behest of President Trump. As part of that process, they want to hear from the public. If you have feelings or thoughts about current regulations, now is the time to be heard!
General Guidelines for Comments
According to their request, "The Department is interested in comments on any DOT regulation or other agency action that imposes unjustifiable burdens on regulated entities or on the use or production of domestic energy resources."
When you are crafting your comments, please note if there are regulations that you believe should be suspended, repealed, replaced or modified. Below are some basic guidelines:
- Specific reference - When you are describing the rule you dislike, be specific and descriptive so that regulatory agencies understand exactly which policies you are referencing.
- Description of burden - What is the most burdensome portion of the regulation. Be specific.
- Description of less burdensome alternatives - When you look at the situation, do you see obvious solutions? If so, describe them!
- Examples of affected entities or projects - Give examples of how this has affected your business personally as well as how it has affected others in the industry. Once again, specific examples are always best, but keep in mind that these are public comments.
How and Where to Comment
You can make your comments online by going to this website. See the image below for a reference to where you should click.
If you would prefer to make your comments in another format, try one of these:
- Mail: Docket Management Facility, U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE., Room W12-140, Washington, DC 20590-0001.
Hand Delivery or Courier: The Docket Management Facility is located on the West Building, Ground Floor, of the U.S. Department of Transportation, 1200 New Jersey Ave. SE., Room W12-140, between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, except Federal holidays.
- Fax: 202-493-2251
When you head to this site, you may notice that the official comment period is closed. But don't be discouraged! They are still taking comments!
Why All of This Matters
Change comes because a few individuals are brave enough to start a conversation that matters. Please join us in continuing this conversation and help our industry move toward positive regulatory changes for truckers everywhere.
K & J Trucking is a family-owned trucking company. We pride ourselves in loving our drivers as individuals and providing excellent service to our customers. Our goal is to do everything with integrity. If this appeals to you, learn more about us.