Winter is upon us and South Dakota trucking companies can't ignore bad weather: it comes right to us. We had our first snow a few weeks ago and have already had a few rounds of school cancellations and ice storms, but we have a few tips and tricks to get through the snowy months.
We embrace available technology
There are many awesome technological advances that help us keep truckers on the road from the dispatch side of things, but we also encourage our drivers to utilize the latest communication devices, weather radios and phone apps to keep up to date on changes in the weather. Check out our app reviews for a few of our favorites!
We make Winter Emergency Kits
Every driver should be prepared to winter out in their cab for 12-24 hours at the very least should the weather require it. And if the weather is bad, it can mean a lack of heat in the cab. Here are the items we recommend for a well-stocked winter survival kit.
- Sleeping bags or blankets (consider the insulation rating)
- Flashlight (extra batteries)
- Matches and candles
- Sack of sand or cat litter for traction
- Bungee cords
- Non-perishable, high energy foods (protein bars)
- Paper towels and/or toilet tissue
- Metal coffee can that can be used to heat water
- Warm hat, mittens, gloves, boots, etc.
- Plenty of Bottled water
- Small hatchet or saw
- Tow chain or strap, come-alongs
- First aid kit, including any prescription/medications needed
- A shovel (one with a flat blade is preferable)
- Windshield scraper and snowbrush
- Washer fluid, extra oil, fuel filter, and emissions compliant diesel conditioner
- Booster cables
- Basic tool kit: pliers/vise grips, crowbar & hammer, screwdrivers, adjustable wrench and 5/16, 7/16, and 9/16 wrenches, roll of duct tape, can of WD40, wire and rope
We use traction devices
Some drivers prefer to use traditional tire chains, however we encourage our drivers to invest in AutoSock. AutoSock is a textile tire cover that helps to increase traction on icy and snowy roads. AutoSock devices are quick and easy to mount and remove; significantly easier and faster than any metal snow chain. At K&J we offer free AutoSock devices for all our company drivers and a special discount to all our owner operators who want to invest in AutoSock devices. This helps ensure that drivers, trucks and loads stay safe and make it to their destination.
If there is one thing South Dakota Trucking Companies know it is how to drive in diverse weather. From sunny days and hot roads to the cold and snow of winter, we have learned to keep truckers safe on the road. What tips would you add to our list?