K&J Named a 2023 Best Fleet To Drive For
For the second year in a row, we are thrilled to announce that K&J Trucking has earned the prestigious distinction of being named one of North America's Top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For!
Determined by The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and CarriersEdge, this award is the only annual program dedicated to uncovering the best workplaces in the North American trucking industry. 2023 marks the 15th anniversary of the program.
K&J was honored to be named a Best Fleet to Drive for in 2022, as well as a Fleet to Watch in 2021, which was our first year participating in the competition. Being included again in the Top 20 list is an exciting national acknowledgement of our continued commitment to excellence on behalf of our drivers.
The Selection Process
To be considered, companies had to first be nominated by one of their drivers (company drivers or owner operators). Extensive evaluations were then performed across a variety of categories including company culture, total compensation, benefits, safety practices, equipment training, performance management, professional development, career path/advancement opportunities, and other intangibles.
Staff representatives from each nominated company were required to participate in an extensive interview about their company's programming. In addition, driver surveys were conducted to solicit input from those working directly with the fleets. Then the team at Best Fleets discusses the results and names the top 20 (made up of the 10 small carriers and top 10 large carriers) in North America.
K&J In Running for top Overall Award
The 2023 Top 20 winners will be honored on stage at the TCA’s Annual Convention, Truckload 2023: Orlando, which will be held March 4-7 at Gaylord Palms Resort & Convention Centre in Kissimmee, FL. Two overall winners (in small and large fleet categories) will also be awarded from the Top 20 list.
“This year we saw 165 fleets nominated by their drivers for this program and a record-breaking 95 finalists,” said CarriersEdge Chief Executive Officer Jane Jazrawy. “This year’s Top 20 and Hall of Fame fleets rose to the top with a range of inventive and effective programs, that reflect true innovation and creative thinking.”
Hall of Fame
In 2022, the program was expanded to include a Hall of Fame, which is a recognition above the Top 20 and honors fleets that consistently demonstrate Top 20 performance over time. To be eligible, carriers must be named a Best Fleet for ten consecutive years, or have received at least one overall award for seven years.
This year, two additional fleets, Garner Trucking, Inc. (Findlay, OH) and TransPro Freight Systems Limited (Milton, ON), have earned the honor of being inducted into the Best Fleets to Drive For Hall of Fame.
But this isn’t your typical Hall of Fame, “It’s the Hall of Sustained Excellence,” explains Mark Murrell, president of CarriersEdge. Companies must be continuously elevating their game as fleet evaluation criteria changes each year as new ideas and technologies become available. In addition, they have to re-qualify for the distraction each year.
K&J would like to extend congratulations to the 2023 Top 20 Finalists, Hall of Fame members and inductees, and Fleets to Watch.
Top 20 Best Fleets
- American Central Transport – Kansas City, MO
- C.A.T. Inc. – Coteau-du-Lac, QC
- Challenger Motor Freight Inc. – Cambridge, ON
- Chief Carriers, Inc. – Grand Island, NE
- Continental Express, Inc. – Sidney, OH
- Decker Truck Line, Inc. – Fort Dodge, IA
- Erb Transport – New Hamburg, ON
- Fortigo Freight Services Inc. – Etobicoke, ON
- Fremont Contract Carriers, Inc. – Fremont, NE
- Jetco Delivery a GTI Company – Houston, TX
- K&J Trucking, Inc. – Sioux Falls, SD
- Kriska Holdings Limited – Prescott, ON
- Leonard's Express – Farmington, NY
- Nick Strimbu, Inc. – Brookfield, OH
- PGT Trucking, Inc. – Aliquippa, PA
- Thomas E. Keller Trucking Inc. – Defiance, OH
- TLD Logistics Services, Inc. – Knoxville, TN
- Transland – Strafford, MO
- Veriha Trucking, Inc. – Marinette, WI
- Wellington Group of Companies – Aberfoyle, ON
Hall of Fame Inductees
- Garner Trucking, Inc. – Findlay, OH
- TransPro Freight Systems Limited – Milton, ON
Hall of Fame members
- Bison Transport Inc - Winnipeg, MB
- Boyle Transportation - Billerica, MA
- Central Oregon Truck Company, Inc. - Redmond, OR
- FTC Transportation, Inc. - Oklahoma City, OK
- Grand Island Express - Grand Island, NE
- Halvor Lines, Inc. - Superior, WI
- Nussbaum Transportation Services, Inc. - Hudson, IL
- Prime Inc. - Springfield, MO
Fleets to Watch
- Crete Carrier Corporations and its Shaffer Trucking Division – Lincoln, NE
- Mill Creek Motor Freight LTD – Ayr, ON
- Skelton Truck Lines – Sharon, ON
- Steve's Livestock Transport – Blumenort, MB
- USXL – Foristell, MO