K&J Named a Best Fleet to Drive For in 2022
We are thrilled to announce that K&J Trucking has earned the prestigious distinction of being named one of North America's Top 20 Best Fleets to Drive For. This marks the first time a South Dakota Trucking company has ever received this major industry award.
Determined by The Truckload Carriers Association (TCA) and CarriersEdge, this award is the only annual program dedicated to uncovering the best workplaces in the North American trucking industry.
K&J was honored to be named a Fleet to Watch in 2021, our first year participating in the competition. Our selection as part of the Top 20 list is an exciting national acknowledgement of our commitment to excellence with our drivers. Best Fleets has informed us that moving into the Top 20 this quickly is incredibly difficult.
The Selection Process
To be considered, companies had to first be nominated by one of their drivers (company or owner operators). Extensive evaluations were then performed across a variety of categories including company culture, total compensation, benefits, safety practices, equipment training, performance management, professional development, career path/advancement opportunities, and other intangibles.
Staff representatives from each nominated company were required to participate in an extensive interview about their company's programming. In addition, driver surveys were conducted to solicit input from those working directly with the fleets.
K&J In Running for top Overall Award
The 2022 Top 20 winners will be honored on stage at the TCA’s Annual Convention, Truckload 2022, set for March 19-22 at the Wynn Las Vegas. Two overall winners (in small and large fleet categories) will also be awarded from the Top 20 list.
For the first time in its 14-year history, “we saw more than 200 fleets nominated by their drivers for this program, and all participants were clearly stepping up their game," CarriersEdge Chief Executive Officer Jane Jazrawy said.
Hall of Fame
With several fleets earning perennial appearances among the Top 20, it has been harder for other top-performing carriers to make the cut. So, for 2022, the program was expanded to include a Hall of Fame to honor those fleets consistently demonstrating Top 20 performance.
To be eligible, carriers must be named a Best Fleet for ten consecutive years, or have received at least one overall award for seven years. But don’t be fooled, this isn’t your typical Hall of Fame.
“It’s the Hall of Sustained Excellence,” explains Mark Murrell, president of CarriersEdge, because companies will have to requalify for the distraction each year. “That way, we'll ensure that they keep continuing to push. Also, they'll keep pushing everybody else forward, too.”
Companies must be continuously elevating their game as fleet evaluation criteria changes each year as new ideas and technologies become available. "This year's Top 20 and Hall of Fame fleets rose to the top with a range of innovative and effective programs that continue to improve the work experience for their drivers,” said Jazrawy.
K&J would like to extend congratulations to the 2022 Top 20 Finalists, inaugural Hall of Fame inductees, Fleets to Watch, and companies with five consecutive years as a Best Fleet.
Top 20 Best Fleets
- American Central Transport - Kansas City, Missouri
- Brenny Specialized, Inc. - Saint Joseph, Minnesota
- Challenger Motor Freight Inc. - Cambridge, Ontario
- Chief Carriers, Inc. - Grand Island, Nebraska
- Continental Express, Inc. - Sidney, Ohio
- Decker Truck Line, Inc. - Fort Dodge, Iowa
- Erb Transport - New Hamburg, Ontario
- Fortigo Freight Services Inc. - Etobicoke, Ontario
- Fremont Contract Carriers, Inc. - Fremont, Nebraska
- Garner Trucking, Inc. - Findlay, Ohio
- K&J Trucking, Inc. - Sioux Falls, South Dakota
- Landstar Transportation Logistics, Inc. - Jacksonville, Florida
- Leonard's Express - Farmington, New York
- Liberty Linehaul Inc. - Ayr, Ontario
- Thomas E. Keller Trucking Inc. - Defiance, Ohio
- TLD Logistics Services, Inc. - Knoxville, Tennessee
- TransLand - Strafford, Missouri
- TransPro Freight Systems Limited - Milton, Ontario
- Veriha Trucking, Inc. - Marinette, Wisconsin
- Wellington Group of Companies - Cambridge, Ontario
Inaugural Hall of Fame Inductees
- Bison Transport Inc - Winnipeg, Manitoba
- Boyle Transportation - Billerica, Massachusetts
- Central Oregon Truck Company, Inc. - Redmond, Oregon
- FTC Transportation, Inc. - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
- Grand Island Express - Grand Island, Nebraska
- Halvor Lines, Inc. - Superior, Wisconsin
- Nussbaum Transportation Services, Inc. - Hudson, Illinois
- Prime Inc. - Springfield, Missouri
Fleets to Watch
- Epes Transport System, LLC - Greensboro, North Carolina
- GP Transco - Joliet, Illinois
- Magnum LTD - Fargo, North Dakota
- Stokes Trucking, LLC - Tremonton, Utah
- TP Trucking - Central Point, Oregon
Best Fleet for Five Consecutive Years
- American Central Transport
- Thomas E. Keller Trucking Inc.