SDTA Scholarship Program Now Open
Paying for higher education is more expensive than ever and scholarships are becoming a necessity for many families. We are proud to offer a scholarship program option to all our employees and owner operators as well as their families through the SDTA.
The South Dakota Trucking Association Foundation has had a scholarship program for eleven years. Their funds have helped many area young adults further their education including several "kids of K&J" and even a few employees. The Foundation just unveiled their scholarship process and application for 2023.
2023 SDTA Scholarship
This year there will be seven one-year non-renewable scholarships awarded in the amount of $1,000 each. Applicants must be Regular or Associate members of the SDTA (or part of a member's immediate family) or employees of Regular or Associate members (or part of an employee's immediate family). The Foundation defines immediate family as one's spouse and children. All K&J drivers, staff members, and their families are eligible because of K&J's membership in the SDTA.
SDTA Scholarship Requirements
Additional requirements are as follows:
1. You must be a degree seeking student.
2. You must be enrolled and registered to attend an educational institution for the fall semester of this year.
3. You must not be in default on any student loans, owe a refund or have received overpayments on any federal, state or institutional financial aid that have not been resolved.
4. With your application, you submitted a signed letter that indicates that you are:
- A family member of a Regular or Associate member of the South Dakota Trucking Association; or
- A family member of an employee or a leased operator of a Regular or Associate member of the South Dakota Trucking Association; or
- A family member of an employee of the South Dakota Trucking Association.
The scholarship form asks for basic identifying information as well as an essay on the affect that trucking has on the applicant's life and the South Dakota economy. The Foundation hopes that by providing these scholarships they will encourage young people to consider trucking as a career.
If you or a member of your family would like to apply for the scholarship, click here to download the forms. All applications for 2023 must be postmarked by Friday, April 28th. The SDTA will notify participants of the selection decision by July 1st and checks will be sent to respective educational institutions in August.
If you have questions or concerns about the scholarship process, we encourage you to contact the South Dakota Trucking Association.